Sunday, October 26, 2008

Weekend Trip to Triassic; Berries, Boulders, and Petroglyphs

Over the weekend a friend and I drove south to the Triassic bouldering area. This piles of rocks (big rocks) is just outside the city of Elmo, UT and is a developing bouldering area. I'm too fat to climb, so we just explored the area so my friend would know what to expect when he takes his scouts down in a few weeks. Here are a few pictures from the trip.

The following is a shot of the Land Of A Thousand Boulders area.  There are over 80 different routes among these boulders.



A close up of Juniper berries on the tree outside my tent.



One of a few petroglyph panels we saw.  This is one of the bigger panels.  I can't speak to their authenticity, but they seemed more real than the "danny + sally" in a heart farther down the wall.



3 Comments:

Blogger Booster and BigNanaO said...

Nice pictures. I especially like the closeup of the juniper berries. Glad you were able to get a little camping fix.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Andrew D. Taylor said...

Hey Rhett nice photos. Sounds like you had a great time. Juniper berries are deceptively soft in the picture.

I wonder if grafitti will be considered petroglyphs a thousand years from now?

9:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful pictures! I got here by searching for boulder pictures. Many years ago, back in the 1950s, as a young boy I remember a number of driving trips through the mountains of southern California (between San Diego and the Imperial Valley). And on the desert side of the mountains there were a kazillion boulders of all sizes. The sight of so many enormous boulders made a strong impression on my young mind.

Now, I'm working on a science fiction/fantasy story that has a scene of a plane with large boulders, and hills of stacked boulders.

I hope to find a good picture of an area like that for my blog site and maybe novel trailer videos.

If the first photo above were free to use, I would happily give you and your site credit. And if not, that would not be a problem.

Again, thanks for the great photos of your trip.

SkipXrobertskipcurranY X=@ Y=.com

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home