Friday, September 09, 2005

Rodney Smith Exibit


Alan Leaping from 515 Madison Ave (1999)

Thursday night I was able to attend a gallery party, at the Brigham Young University Museum of Art, highlighting the work of Rodney Smith. The gallery was packed, making it difficult to really take my time and enjoy the show. Despite having a crowd to contend with, it was cool to see so many people showing up to a photography exhibit. Granted, there was free food (chocolate fountians) so I question the motives of some.

Each of Smith's photographs were silver gelatin prints. There was no indication the artist made his own prints; I'd like to know if he does. In the documentary movie War Photographer the photographer James Nachtway is shown working with a printer to get his gallery prints prepared. Because so much of the black and white picture is done in the dark room, I'd like to think the artist does his own prints.

I really like the picture shown above. It is so easy to have your subject blend into the background of a B&W picture. Amazingly, Smith is able to use light and shadow to highlight the man and keep him the central figure of the picture despite the busy background.

I'm looking forward to going back to spend more time examining the photos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home