Thursday, May 04, 2006

Start Seeing Cyclist

Shortly after graduating from high school I was out on country back road riding my mountainbike. I heard a car coming behind me and made sure I was as far right on the side of the road as I could get. As the car passed, it lightly tapped my handlebars pushing me to the gravel shoulder. The car continued to the shoulder in front of me, made a jerking couse correction to the left then swerved into the oncoming lane. The driver was either drunk or asleep. Either way, it was fortunate my encounter with the inattentive driver ended with me still standing rather than me playing the lead role as street pizza.

That was my closest call, but not my only experience with drivers who don't watch for cyclists.

Recently, an activist movement among cyclists here in Utah to bring attention to cyclists on the streets has gained a lot of attention in the media. On 5/17 riders are staging an event to bring more attention to the problem. I'm going to try to participate, but wanted to pass the information to all who may be interested in participating as well. Here is an excerpt from an email the Utah Velo Club sent out with the details of the ride:

Wednesday May 17, 2006:
Ride of Silence, max speed 12 MPH, 12 mile loop route to Alpine and back. In memory of cyclists killed or injured in accidents with motor vehicles. No fee for the ride, no talking, only hand signals. All cyclists invited and encouraged to participate. Wear a black arm band if you know someone who has been killed and a red arm band if you know someone who has been injured in an encounter with a motor vehicle and a bike. Wear both colors if you know both. We will meet at the Bike Peddler (24 E. Main St., American Fork) at 6:45 p.m. and will make the 12 mile loop up the Alpine Highway (100E) and come back on 1000 E. See web site Ride of Silence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home